Saturday 29 January 2011

Writer's Block

Ok. I'm sitting at the computer, wanting to write, but my mind is a little fuzzy at the moment! Today, I'll blame it on the weather! It's 40 degrees out there, and yes, I do have the Air con on. But still!

These days, I don't experience "Writer's block" as much as I used to. I believe it's very true that practice is the only way to help us get better. This is true for anything. I asked a friend of mine who is a really good guitar player, how he got to that level. He replied that unfortunately, there is no easy way of getting around it; you just have to practice, practice, and practice. I have practice my cords a bit on the guitar, but I have a long way to go before I'll be able to play a proper song! As they say, however, perseverance wins the day! If I keep at it, I should get there in the end!
Techniques for overcoming writer’s block

In my experience, some ways to overcome writer’s block are:
• Change of scenery
The beauty of a laptop is that it’s portable. I like working in cafes and ordering a large Latte. For me, it makes the experience of writing less isolating and more fun.
• Go for a walk
When feeling frustrated, I find it helpful to go for a walk or do exercise of some kind. It releases the tension and clears the mind!
• Put some music on
I find music enjoyable to listen to in the background. Loud music can be distracting. Soft music, however, can help me feel relaxed and happy.
• Don’t be too critical
I find being very negative towards my own work, kills any motivation to write. I need to try and not be too critical and just get it out of my system! I can always edit it later.
• Read a lot
I find reading helps with motivation. If I read a good book, I think “wow, I would so love to be able to write well too”.
Well these are only a couple of tips that have often worked for me. If you have any handy hints to share, I would love to hear from you!

Cheers!
Bird’s Eye

No comments:

Post a Comment