Sunday 28 November 2010

Overcoming blind barriers

I heard a story today that both shocked and disturbed me. It was said that a religious family shut their blind daughter away in her room for many years. Apparently this was due to their beliefs that blindness was degrading and shameful. It wasn’t until a doctor persuaded the parents to seek assistance from Guide dogs that the girl eventually began to branch out and become fully independent. Today she has a guide dog and has moved out from her family home.

Wow! It’s amazing how a dog can literally change a person’s life! Who knows where this blind lady would be now, if this doctor hadn’t spoken to her parents about the Guide dogs?

Such a scenario represents an extreme case. It highlights, however, the importance of overcoming barriers of fear, shame and ignorance. A teacher at high school once told me that my parents probably harbored a lot of anger and resentment towards me, because of the fact that I was blind. At the time, I internalized her words and felt depressed. I have since realized that her assumptions were unfounded and untrue.

As blind/vision impaired people, we can do many things; we just need to get out there and give it a go! It's important for us to believe in ourselves, and think outside the square! We are all here for a reason. Moping around home is not going to help us fulfill our purpose in life!

I would love to hear your thoughts on this topic!
Hope to hear from you!
Cheers!
Bird’s Eye

No comments:

Post a Comment