Monday 15 November 2010

Colour blindness

The other day, I was chatting with friends about colour blindness. A girl made a light hearted remark about a guy who seemed to be colour blind, as his clothes were uncoordinated!

Subsequent to our discussion, I browsed the internet for information regarding colour blindness. I discovered that this vision disability is rare in females. This is due to the fact that the gene for colour vision is on the X chromosome. As females have two X chromosomes, when one is deficient, the other compensates. Only one in 200+ girls is affected by this disability, whereas 5 to 8% of males are colour blind. So girls, maybe we shouldn’t be so hard on our boyfriends about their fashion sense!

We are all colour defective at birth. Males who lack colour vision, inherit their deficiency from their mother, who is not colour blind.

Bulls are colour blind. Their anger is caused by the motion of a waving red flag, rather than the colour itself.

Hmmm, learn something new every day! Maybe this is common knowledge to most people, but I found it interesting.

Talking about colours, I often get asked “how do you know what colour your clothes are?” I am totally blind, so I guess this is a fair enough question from a sighted person, as my clothes are usually colour coordinated. In response to the question, I explain that I ask whoever I’m shopping with, to describe the colour and style of the clothes. I make sure that each piece of clothing I purchase, feels different in some way from my other clothing. If it is not distinctive, I will cut the label in a certain way to identify it. I am lucky to have sisters who are up with the latest fashion, so I often ask their advice about clothes!
What are your thoughts about clothes and fashion? Do you spend ages in the morning, deciding what to wear and making yourself up? Or do you just chuck anything on and are not too fussed about appearance?
Am looking forward to hearing from you!
Cheers!
Bird’s Eye

No comments:

Post a Comment