Wednesday 24 November 2010

I was listening to the radio last night, when I heard a story that touched my heart. An Asian man living with AIDS described his sense of rejection and isolation throughout his illness. Even his family and friends were turning away from him! Many sufferers of HIV are subjected to stigmatization. The route of this problem primarily stems from fear, shame and denial.

The story had an uplifting turn, however, as the man revealed his victory over others’ negativity. He learnt to be happy in spite of his illness. In fact, overcoming his despair helped him to grow as a person and change his perspective on life.

Hearing this man’s testimony of courage and strength inspired me deeply. Facing such adverse circumstances, would be anyone’s worst nightmare! But it also got me thinking how many of us are labeled and stigmatized as a result of others’ misconceptions. Blind people, for example, are often categorized as being helpless, burdensome or incapable. It thus makes it more difficult for people who are blind/vision impaired, to integrate in to mainstream community.

As a blind person myself, I try not to be controlled by others’ opinion of me. Throughout my life, I want to try to be the best person I can be. If people reject me, then that’s their problem. I only want to be friends with those who are open-minded, genuine and can see the person beneath the disability.

Am looking forward to hearing from you!
Cheers!
Bird’s Eye

No comments:

Post a Comment