Thursday 3 November 2011

Hi there


Wow, it’s been such a long time since I last wrote here. So much has happened. The last few months have been full of drama.

I’m feeling a bit out of sorts at the moment. Oh well, I guess we all have ups and downs in life. I'm going to focus on thinking positively. I'll be proactive in raising my spirits.

Research shows that keeping our mind active, is critical to our health and well-being. Idleness often leads to boredom and depression. It’s often hard for us to be proactive and motivated when we are feeling gloomy. In my experience however, pushing ourselves to achieve goals, improves our self-esteem and elevates our mood.

Mental stimulation improves brain functioning. In fact, research shows that mental activity, helps to protect against cognitive decline. This is also true for physical exercise. I often find that riding on my exercise bike while listening to an audio book, significantly improves my state of mind.

Connecting with others, is another important factor in helping to overcome our blues. It’s easy to shut everyone out and allow misery to overwhelm us. While we may need a bit of space for a while, isolating ourselves for too long, often accentuates our problems. Interacting with others, helps us to keep things in perspective, and realize that we are not alone. If we make an effort to be friendly and social, it will help to distract our brain from negative thoughts. Others will also tend to like us more.

A friend once told me a story about a man who was very selfish and unfriendly. His primary ambition was to own his own home and have a swimming pool. He achieved his dream by the age of thirty. One day, he dived in to his pool at the shallow end. He hit his head and was paralysed. He subsequently became a very angry, bitter and lonely man. This story highlights how being self-obsessed, often leads to unhappiness.

 Setting achievable goals, is a crucial step in improving self-esteem and well-being. Earlier this year, I broke up with my boyfriend and was feeling a bit lonely. I wanted to make more friends. I therefore decided to set up a social group. Achieving this goal, has helped me enormously. I’m meeting new people and broadening my social circle. I’m also growing in confidence.

Today, I’ve been identifying goals I want to achieve in the near future. I’ve decided that if I don’t get the job I’ve recently applied for, I’m going to study massage or something like that. I love writing, but it’s hard to make a career out of it.

 I also want to keep Eye Think up to date. I’ve been very slack with it. I need to advertise this blog, because it would be great to get some discussion going.

I feel better already! And guess what? I’ve finished all my washing today! It feels good to have an empty basket. Ok, that’s sad. I’m getting excited about house work! I really need to get out more.

Ok, well I’m going to go now. I’ll be back soon!



No comments:

Post a Comment